Politicians and pundits are defending illegal immigration with worn-out myths that can easily be proven wrong.
Myth: Illegal immigrants contribute greatly to the American economy.
Fact: So-called statistics supporting this myth are typically a deceptive amalgam of statistics and supposition arranged to conceal an undeniable truth. Consider, for instance, this statement from the ACLU paper Immigrants and the Economy (2002): “Immigrants pay more than $90 billion in taxes every year and receive only $5 billion in welfare. Without their contributions to the public treasury, the economy would suffer enormous losses.” If 32.5 million immigrants (the total of legal and illegal immigrants, according to the recent U.S. Census figures) really pay $90 billion in taxes, then they pay half the taxes the average native-born American pays. Note too that the ACLU combines both legal and illegal immigrants into its statistic. Most taxes paid by immigrants are paid by legal immigrants. Illegal immigrants often pay little or no taxes because many of them are working “under the table” in the underground, cash-based economy.
Welfare is a term limited to only a few federal subsidy programs, and the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) notes: “Even though illegal aliens make little use of welfare, from which they are generally barred, the costs of illegal immigration in terms of government expenditures for education, criminal justice, and emergency medical care are significant.” CIS estimates that the total net cost of illegal immigration is an annual drain on the government of $11-22 billion annually.
Myth: We are a nation of immigrants.
Fact: This myth is false on its face. Nearly 88 percent of the people living in the United States today are not immigrants; they were born here. This is a nation of natives, not a nation of immigrants. “But,” the liberal propagandists reply, “we all have ancestors who come from other countries.” And, one might reply, so does just about every other nation on Earth.
Are not the French merely descendents of the immigrant barbarian Franks, who drove out the Roman era Celtic Gauls? And the English are simply immigrant Angles and Saxons who virtually wiped out the Celtic Britons in the fifth century A.D. They too are simply nations of immigrants under this liberal myth, as is practically every other nation on Earth. The myth descends to meaninglessness upon any serious analysis. Yet whenever this myth is uttered, we are expected to nod our heads in agreement that a deep and salient point has been made.
Myth: You cannot deport 12 million people.
Fact: This is nothing more than a slogan for people who have stopped trying to address the problem. The U.S. government needs to begin deporting illegal aliens, and even if it only deports a fraction of them over the next few years that would be progress. If the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency deported only two million of the 12 million illegal aliens, 10 million illegals would be better than 12 million.
Congressman Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.) notes that enforcing employer sanctions could lead many to go home on their own without deportation proceedings: “If you can’t get a job in this country, and if you can’t get social service benefits, you go home.” Additionally, a lot of immigrants visit families on their own, and wouldn’t be able to get back in if Congress decides to secure the border.
On the other hand, if the 12 million illegals are legalized, none would be deported. Moreover, this amnesty (whether called amnesty or not) would simply induce more illegals to cross the Rio Grande in the hopes of waiting until the next amnesty.
Myth: Illegal immigrants are only taking jobs Americans do not want.
Fact: Many illegal immigrants are able to work for less than market value because they don’t pay income or Social Security taxes and are able to take their entire paycheck (or cash) home. This is not only unfair competition against employers who follow the law and pay employees “above the table,” but it depresses the wage scale for Americans who would otherwise select jobs currently filled by illegal immigrants. These are jobs that Americans “do not want” only because the illegal immigrants have depressed the wage scale for the positions. Take away the illegal immigrants, and the market would raise wages to the level where Americans would take the jobs.
Myth: Guest workers would only be here temporarily.
Fact: History demonstrates that “guest workers” would be as temporary as the “temporary” telephone tax, still in effect, that Congress enacted in 1898 to pay for the Spanish-American War. And what would happen if 12 million “guest workers” decided not to leave? Those who argue against deporting the current 12 million illegal aliens as impractical are likely, if challenged, to say they find the prospect of deporting “guest workers” impractical as well.
Thus, it is hardly surprising that President Bush fails to mention a time limit on the “temporary” worker visas the federal government would permit under the “guest worker” program he is pushing in his public addresses. Most pending congressional legislation would limit the “guest worker” to three years � but what then?
Myth: Illegal immigrants have a right to come here. It is our Christian duty to provide hospitality.
Fact: Nearly two-thirds of the 32.5 million foreign-born people living in the United States entered this country legally, and the United States has more legal immigrants than any other country in the world. That’s hardly poor hospitality, and no bill before Congress that has a chance of becoming law would change this nation’s hospitality. But it is poor hospitality to say to the nearly 22 million legal U.S. immigrants who waited in line that they wasted their time following the rules because illegal immigrants will now get the same status.
The need to deport illegal aliens and secure our borders has nothing to do with persecuting minorities or lack of hospitality. The United States can continue to allow a large or small number of immigrants into this country legally, depending upon how many can be reasonably assimilated without destroying our American identity. Rather, securing our borders is necessary as a matter of principle � in the interests of equal justice under law � as well as practical security in this age of international terrorism. And this nation can no longer afford to allow “myth-information” slogans to sidetrack the nation from fulfilling the mandate of controlling the borders.
1. Illegal aliens generally do NOT want U.S. citizenship. Americans are very vain thinking that everybody in the world wants to be a U.S. citizen. Mexicans, and other nationalities, want to remain citizens of their home countries while obtaining the benefits offered by the United States such as employment, medical care, in-state tuition, government-subsidized housing, and free education for their offspring. Their main attraction is employment and their loyalty usually remains at home. They want benefits earned and subsidized by middle-class Americans. What illegal aliens want are benefits of American residence without paying the price.
2. There are no jobs that Americans won’t do. Illegal aliens are doing jobs that Americans can’t take and still support their families. Illegal aliens take low-wage jobs, live dozens in a single residence home, share expenses, and send money to their home country. There are no jobs that Americans won’t do for a decent wage.
3. Every person who illegally entered this nation left a home. They are NOT homeless and they are NOT Americans. Some left jobs in their home countries. They come to send money to their real home as evidenced by the more than 20 billion dollars sent out of the country each year by illegal aliens. These illegal aliens knowingly and willfully entered this nation in violation of the law and, therefore, assumed the risk of detection and deportation. Those who brought their alien children assumed the responsibility and risk on behalf of their children.
4. Illegal aliens are NOT critical to the economy. Illegal aliens constitute less than 5% of the workforce; however, they reduce wages and benefits for lawful U.S. residents.
5. This is NOT an immigrant nation. There are 280 million native- born Americans. While it is true that this nation was settled and founded by immigrants (legal immigrants), it is also true that there is not a nation on this planet that was not settled by immigrants at one time or another.
6. The United States is welcoming to legal immigrants. Illegal aliens are not immigrants by definition. The U.S. accepts more lawful immigrants every year than the rest of the world combined.
7. There is no such thing as the “Hispanic vote”. Hispanics are white, brown, black and every shade in between. Hispanics are Republicans, Democrats, Anarchists, Communists, Marxists and Independents. The so-called “Hispanic vote” is a myth. Pandering to illegal aliens to get the Hispanic vote is a dead end.
8. Mexico is NOT a friend of the United States. Since 1848 Mexicans have resented the United States. During World War I, Mexico allowed German Spies to operate freely in Mexico to spy on the U.S. During World War II, Mexico allowed the Axis powers to spy on the U.S. from Mexico. During the Cold War, Mexico allowed spies hostile to the U.S. to operate freely. The attack on the Twin Towers in 2001 was cheered and applauded all across Mexico. Today, Mexican school children are taught that the U.S. stole California, Arizona, new Mexico and Texas. ,If you don’t believe it, check out some Mexican textbooks written for their schoolchildren.
9. Although some illegal aliens enter this country for a better life, there are 6 billion people on this planet. At least 1 billion of those live on less than one dollar a day. If wanting a better life is a valid excuse to break the law and sneak into America, then let’s allow those one billion to come to America and we’ll turn the USA into a Third World nation overnight. Besides, there are 280 million native-born Americans who want a better life. I’ll bet Bill Gates and Donald Trump want a better life. When will the USA lifeboat be full? Since when is wanting a better life a good reason to trash another nation?
10. There is a labor shortage in this country. This is a lie. There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of American housewives, senior citizens, students, unemployed and underemployed who would gladly take jobs at a decent wage.
11. It is racist to want secure borders. This is a lie. What is racist about wanting secure borders and a secure America? What is racist about not wanting people to sneak into America and steal benefits we have set aside for legal aliens, senior citizens, children, and other legal residents? What is it about race that entitles people to violate our laws, steal identities, and take the American Dream without paying the price?
For about four decades, American politicians have refused to secure our borders and look after the welfare of middle-class Americans. These politicians have been of both parties. A huge debt to American society has resulted. This debt will be satisfied and the interest will be high. There have already been riots in the streets by illegal aliens and their supporters. There will be more. You, as a politician, have a choice to offend the illegal aliens who have stolen into this country and demanded the rights afforded to U.S. citizens or to offend those of us who are stakeholders in this country. The interest will be steep either way. There will be civil unrest. There will be a reckoning. Do you have the courage to do what is right for America? Or, will you bow to the wants and needs of those who don’t even have the right to remain here?
1. 40% of all workers in L.A. County (L.A. County has 10 million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This was because they are predominantly illegal immigrants, working without a green card.
2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.
3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.
4. Over 2/3’s of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal whose births were paid for by taxpayers.
5. Nearly 25% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.
6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.
7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.
8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.
9. 21 radio stations in L.A. are Spanish speaking.
10. In L.A.County 5.1 million people speak English. 3.9 million speak Spanish (10.2 million people in L.A.County).
(All 10 of these quotes came from the Los Angeles Times)
Did you know that less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops but 29% are on welfare. http://www.cis.org/
Did you know that over 70% of the United States annual population growth (and over 90% of California, Florida, and New York) results from immigration?
Did you know that the cost of illegal immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 was a NET (after subtracting taxes immigrants pay) $70 BILLION a year, [Professor Donald Huddle, Rice University]?
Did you know that the lifetime fiscal impact (taxes paid minus services used) for the average adult Mexican immigrant is a NEGATIVE?
Did you know that 29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.
NOW, HOW DO YOU LIKE THE WAY YOUR TAXES ARE BEING SPENT?
MYTH VS FACT OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION
By Frosty Wooldridge
The United States faces the greatest internal threat to its existence since the Civil War. It faces disintegration of its culture; of its language; of its cohesiveness as a nation of free people. It faces massive infusion of unrelenting poverty; of crime; of diseases; of civil violence; of corruption at all levels; and worst of all, the United States faces balkanization that will destroy the fabric of its ability to function as a peaceful nation.
As we look at the misery of Africa via starvation and Darfur�s genocide; as we look at Israel and Palestine blow each other up at any moment 365 days a year; as we look at the seething unrest of Paris, France�America is in the cross hairs of a violent and separated future.
Last week, Denver�s illegal aliens sang our national anthem in Spanish and bastardized the words of OUR country�s most sacred song. Talk about arrogant and condescending! Tell me if you think they are becoming Americans. Ladies and gentlemen–this is stealth-invasion by a foreign country.
Why? How? When?
Mexico�s Vicente Fox is no longer satisfied with the status quo. Mexican nationalists struggle to infuse their leaders into American government and strengthen control over their strongholds. One look at Los Angles with its Mexican-American mayor shows you Vicente Fox�s General Antonio Villaraigosa commanding an American city. The corruption and speed of LA’s takeover makes Hitler’s invasion of Poland look like child’s play.
Mexican Foreign Minister Jorge Castaneda presented a list of demands regarding 70 million Mexicans living in the U.S., about one 40 percent of them illegals, including the demand that America “respect their human rights.� In other words, he demands that we do not enforce our immigration laws. �We are not scared of engaging the U.S. anymore,� Castaneda said. He vowed to defend Mexicans “without legal papers and demanded that America give them the education and health benefits they deserve.”
Castaneda ordered Mexican consulates to provide a free legal defense to Mexicans prosecuted in the U.S. or subjected to deportation proceedings.
Let�s examine some of the myths and facts of this invasion:
Myth: President Bush says illegals do the jobs Americans won�t do.
Fact: Harvard Professor Borjas reports that illegal aliens displace Middle American workers out of $200 billion annually in lost jobs and wages. Bear-Sterns report shows that illegal aliens work off the books and do not pay over $301 billion annually in uncollected IRS income taxes. You make up the difference. The illegals no longer work on the farm. They move into every Middle Class job in America and they undercut wages for America�s working poor and destroy the living wages of the Middle Class. Additionally, the average illegal causes a net loss of $55,000.00 to US taxpayers during his work time the USA. Illegals transfer $60 billion out of the USA annually. Finally, we create cultural and linguistic apartheid by creating a slave class of workers unassimilated while growing in numbers and antagonistic strength. This condition creates a ‘perfect storm’ for rioting and violence that will tear our nation to pieces! Ask Paris, France!
Myth: This is a nation of immigrants and they all add to America�s vitality.
Fact: That was then and this is now. Ninety percent of Americans were born here and thus, natives, not immigrants. In 1900, our population stood at 100 million people. Today, at 300 million, we suffer global warming, acid rain, species extinction, gridlock, air pollution, crowding, $3.12 a gallon gas, skyrocketing cost of living, $8 trillion federal debt, loss of quality of life and enough problems to fill an NFL football stadium. Who in their right mind thinks we need to import 4,000,000 million people from the Third World into our country annually? That’s 40 million in ten years. What is the benefit? Do we need to overpopulate ourselves like China, India and Bangladesh? For what reason? Can we maintain our social fabric as a nation with Spanish fighting English for dominance? It�s like injecting yourself with cancer cells to see what will happen. It�s like importing leper colonies and hope we don�t catch leprosy. It�s like importing thousands of Islamic jihadists and hope they adapt to the American Dream.
Myth: Bush says a guest worker program will allow willing workers for willing employers, which are his corporate buddies.
Fact: What a crock! It�s an amnesty pure and simple. Once locked into and imbedded into our system, these guests with anchor babies, homes and social ties will never leave our country. They create enclaves of separate groups that balkanize our nation into fractured nightmares of social unrest and poverty. This myth perpetrated by Bush is an outright fraud by a fraudulent president.
Myth: Bush respects the sovereignty of the United States.
Fact: Bush violates his oath of office and the U.S. Constitution every day of his presidency. He violates Article IV Section 4 of the Constitution every day for the past five years. The fact is, George Bush works to destroy our borders of our nation on a deadly experiment that will plummet all of us into chaos, poverty and Third World Momentum. He promotes NAFTA, FTAA, CAFTA, Council of Foreign Relations and the Tri-Lateral Commission–all are out to destroy our borders. In order to succeed, he must destroy the Middle Class. So far, with outsourcing, insourcing and offshoring along with 20 million illegal aliens–he’s succeeding better than Katrina at destroying America’s Middle Class.
Myth: You can�t deport 12 to 20 million illegal aliens.
Fact: You won�t have to deport any of them. It�s called �attrition through enforcement�. You demand the president and Congress enforce our immigration laws. We create ‘counter critical mass’ of Americans who overwhelm Bush and Congress with ‘public opinion’ and sheer will of the people to change history in favor of our Constitution and laws. We prosecute and jail employers of illegal aliens starting in Maine and sweeping slowly and effectively across the nation. We delete social services to illegals, housing, medical and welfare of any kind. Why? Illegals are not citizens and they are illegally in our country. Without jobs and a free ride, they have only one choice and that is to move back home and make a better life in their own country by changing their own country for the better. At that point, 18 million unemployed American workers will enjoy jobs that must rise to the market value of a First World nation. It means those CEOs at major corporations will not be able to pay for their Lear Jets and fifth $10 million Aspen home, but Americans will get the job done.
Myth: Illegals have a �right� to come to the United States.
Fact: No one, according to the U.S. Constitution, has a right to break into your home. It is against the law. No one has a right to break into your country. It is against the law. We legally immigrated 32 million foreign born people into this country, which is two to three times more than all other countries combined. We have the right to invite into our home the persons we choose. No one has the right to break into our home: The United States of America.
Myth: Mexico�s people love the USA, respect our language and the laws of our country.
Fact: Corruption is a mechanism by which Mexico operates. Its people spawn more corruption wherever they go because it is their only known way of life. If you watched the Mexican flags flying above the demonstrators and their chants, you understand they have no intention of assimilating into the American way of life. If you look at the nightmare of crime and chaos they bring our cities, you see the results. Their goal is to populate themselves into majority numbers until they can run us out of our own country. The failed and corrupt government of Mexico will manifest itself in America to create the same kind of misery for all Americans.
Dear American citizen, we fast approach the point where this invasion will be out of our control. We will lose our country at the hands of our president and complicit Congress. If that “shamnesty” passes the Senate, we�re toast. Tough, nasty illegals and their advocates grow in such numbers that law and order will not subdue them. They run us out of our cities and states. They conquer our language and our schools. They render havoc and chaos in our communities. I�m stunned at the speed of this invasion. I�m further astonished that most American don�t see it or deny it or ignore it. We are much like the Titanic as we in-bleed millions of Mexico�s poor, the world�s poor and we watch our country sink.
Myths and lies of illegal immigration
By Kathy McKee; January 4, 2004; published in The Sonoran News
Because the pro-illegal alien lobby has a bottomless pit of money and can hire PR people to spin (and fabricate) anything any way, there are an undue number of myths and lies that the public (and many politicians) has bought into. The FACTS are:
1. It is NOT racist to call these people “illegal aliens” In fact, “illegal aliens” is the only term used in federal laws and regulations to describe criminals (and they ARE criminals) who come into our country illegally. They are not illegal immigrants, not undocumented immigrants, not migrant workers, and not day laborers – they’re ILLEGAL ALIENS.
2. Mexico is NOT a poor country. By sending its teeming masses to our country, that status keeps on rising. Mexico has more resources per square mile than the U.S. and plenty of money to take care of its own people. Why should the taxpayers of this country subsidize Mexico’s corruption?
3. Illegal aliens are NOT necessarily coming here to work. Lou Dobbs recently reported that 33 percent of our prison population is now comprised of non-citizens. Plus, 36 to 42 percent of illegal aliens are on welfare. So, for a good proportion of these people, the American dream is crime and welfare, not coming here to work.
4. Illegal aliens are NOT doing work Americans won’t do. What jobs won’t Americans do? In most states, Americans still clean their own houses, do their own landscaping, clean hotel rooms, work in restaurants and fast food places, paint houses, DO CONSTRUCTION WORK, work in airports, etc. – just like we have the past 200 years before “our” government allowed these people to invade our country. There are 18 million Americans who cannot find a job, so illegal aliens who are coming here to work do so at peril to American workers.
5. Illegal aliens absolutely do not contribute more than they cost. Certainly the millions in prison and on welfare aren’t contributing a dime to our economy, and the ones who are working often are paid in cash with no deductions for taxes at all. The ones who use fraudulent social security numbers and qualify to pay taxes and social security have so many deductions for dependents that they pay little if any taxes. We have seen them pay less than $100 in taxes and get back $4,000 refunds (thanks to earned income tax credits and multiple dependents).Some bargain, eh?
6. The economy does NOT depend on illegal aliens. Sure, greedy CEOs (making $50 to $150 MILLION a year) and business owners depend on illegal aliens, but due to #3, #4 and #5 above, the only thing illegal aliens are contributing to is the collapse of our economy and making the rich richer.
7. Without illegal aliens, the price of agricultural products and other goods and services will NOT soar. The definitive study on this subject is the University of Iowa’s “How Much Is That Tomato?” The study concludes that ’since labor is such a small component of the end-price of agricultural products (which includes price to the growers, transportation costs, processing /storage costs, grocers’ profit, etc.), using minimum wage workers instead of illegal aliens would increase prices of agricultural products by approximately 3 percent in the summer and 4 percent in the winter … hardly the making of $10 heads of lettuce, $25 hamburgers, $1,000 per night Days Inn hotel rooms like the pro-illegal alien lobby claims.
8. Consumers are NOT benefiting from lower labor costs. Again, it’s CEOs and business owners who benefit from taxpayer subsidies for their illegal alien workers. The Big Three automakers say they moved so many jobs to Mexico because their labor costs are 80 percent less than in America. Anybody notice the price of new cars spiraling downward under NAFTA?
So, before you believe the prevalent pack of lies perpetuated by the illegal alien lobby, which makes billions off this government-sanctioned criminal activity, ask yourself who’s saying this garbage and look at what they have to gain. Whose side are you on, and what are YOU doing to save your state and country from this corruption?